It’s such a bummer to take down Christmas decorations, right? So, I would like to introduce you to this DIY Winter Wall Decor and why you need it in your life. Suddenly after New Year’s Day, Valentine’s and even spring décor start appearing on every store’s shelves. As I’m writing this, the temperature outside is only 40 degrees (in Texas)…so isn’t it still winter? This is why I’m so excited to share with you the wonderful world of Winter Décor aka After Christmas Décor. If you love DIY and you are looking for something you can keep up after the holiday season, then keep on reading.
Supplies you will need
I get most of my crafting supplies at Hobby Lobby and for this particular project, I found all my ribbon in the bridal section. I purchased the wood board at Wal-Mart in their craft section for just a couple of bucks and as a bonus, its already painted. For a wintery look, think light grays, neutral tones as well as whites and creams. Here is a list of all the materials and equipment you will need.
- Light brown 2 1/2″ burlap
- White 1/4″ ribbon, matte finish
- 3/8″ light gray ribbon, satin sheen finish
- 7/8″ light cream ribbon, matte finish
- Light brown jute (optional)
- 2-0.315×0.71″ nickel-plated screw eyes (optional)
- 10″x10″ whitewashed decorative wood board
- Glue gun
- Craft scissors
- 4 burlap snowflakes (optional)
Before we dive in, I want to talk about the optional items. First, I found these burlap snowflakes in the seasonal section of Hobby Lobby so if you have a hard time finding these, I suggest checking for something comparable in the wood crafting or sewing section. Second, if you plan on hanging your board up, insert the screw eyes into the back of your board and tie jute to them. If you do not plan on hanging your DIY Winter Wall Decor up, then omit the screws and jute altogether. Better yet, try looking for a wood board that already comes ready to hang. The size of the wood board does not matter as long as it is in the shape of a square.
Putting it together
- Cut all the ribbon slightly longer than the board because you will be gluing it to the back. Quick tip — Lay your ribbon out exactly how you want it to look then snap a pic with your cell phone. You can go back and refer to the pic…trust me you will need it.
- You are more than welcome to eyeball if you can but I found it easier to mark where the ribbon will go to ensure it will be straight. Make a mark on each side of your board in the middle.
- Make another mark between the halfway mark and the edge on only two opposite sides.
4. On the other two opposite sides, you will make 2 marks between the middle mark and edge at 1/2″ apart.
5. Using your halfway mark, glue the burlap down in the back.
6. Glue the burlap to the front of the board and to the back of the opposite side.
7. Repeat with all remaining ribbon. Refer to the picture you took to make sure you are gluing ribbon in the correct order.
8. Almost done! Now just glue the snowflakes down if you want the complete look.
Hang up your Winter Wall Decor or not. You can even glue magnets to the back and hang it on the fridge. Happy Winter!